Would would you do, given a chance to meet God?

Friday, May 12, 2006

I’ve been following Pearl Jam for 15 years, which is a record for a band that’s still active. There have been peaks and valleys of interest, but there has always been a decent level of interest for a decade and a half.

I’m surprised at all the PJ music I own: seven regular albums, the first official live album, 4 of the double CD “bootleg” albums, the double CD rarities collection, the Merkin Ball EP, and the “Last Kiss” and “Jeremy” singles. Well, there’s been rumbling’s that their new self titled album was their best in years, and a Green Day like comeback was a ‘brewin. I hope so – say what you want, but Pearl Jam is a sincere and heartfelt band, and I think the world’s a better place when bands like that find success (I apologize for the flowery language – it’s been a long week).

Anyway, it’s Pearl Jam day, as I try to listen to every proper PJ album I own. Thoughts:

Ten: This is one depressing album: songs about teenage suicide, homelessness, abortion, murder, and other fun. But that’s what makes it so great – no mainstream stuff in the early 90’s touched topics like this, and if they did it was clumsy at best. It’s weighty, but still accessible (there’s a reason it sold ten million copies), and while it peters out slightly at the end, this is almost flawless rock.

Vs.: Ah, the difficult second album. This one feels a bit rushed, and there are some outright turds here (“W.M.A.” was just a bad idea, sorry). But there’s a lot of great stuff (especially the first five tracks) that are as good as anything PJ has done.

Vitalogy: My favorite PJ album. Not only their strongest set of songs (including “Corduroy,” the best PJ song hands down), but also some goofy, fucked up shit. With rock so middle of the road these days, I can appreciate Eddie Vedder singing about bugs with his accordion.

No Code: Everyone gave up on PJ after Vitalogy. Their loss – this is by far the most underrated PJ album. It’s a bit of a mess, but it’s a lovely mess, plus it has one of their top three songs in “Smile.”

Yield: A supposed return to form, although a lot of the album is pretty mediocre. Still, “In Hiding,” “Faithful,” “Given to Fly,” and “Do the Evolution” make it worthwhile.

Binaural: I’m one of about 12 people who own this album – it is better than Yield, I’ll say that. “Breakerfall” is a great tune. People really slept on this one, too.

Riot Act: I just realized I don’t even own this – oops. Everyone says it’s pretty dreary.

Pearl Jam: It took a while for me to warm up to this one – it’s not as immediate as you may have heard. That said, after a few spins you realize this is definitely their best album since No Code (and it may be better than that). Eddie and pals sound more immediate and focuses than they have in a while. If you’ve been out of the loop for a while, it’s definitely recommended.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home