Would would you do, given a chance to meet God?

Monday, September 20, 2004

Well, dropped my script for the Bravo contest off in the mail on Saturday. Final draft ended up at a whopping 32 pages. I like it. I cut out the sillier aspects, and also trimmed back on the mentions of vomit (there were about ten in the first draft).

A few details: it’s about college. The focus is on one character, but there’s a phalanx of supporting players. It’s loosely based on my experiences, namely the title character attends school in his hometown in Massachusetts. I think it’s an appealing concept to a network. After all, who didn’t love college? High schoolers headed to college would watch, college students would watch, and students a few years out of college would watch. That's a demographic murderer's row.

Why haven’t there been more shows about college? I remember Undeclared lasting a year on Fox. MTV had Undergrads and 3-South (both also short lived). I remember a show in the 80’s where a young guy roomed with a middle aged guy (name escapes me, but I still remember the episode where the young guy tried out for the wrestling team and lost to a girl because he was too polite to grab her).

To celebrate I went out and bought a Destroyer paperback. Remember the 80’s movie “Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins (which I’ve never seen, but I’ve heard it’s hit or miss compared to the books)?” Same character. A super quick summary: Remo is a super secret government assassin and master of the fighting style of Sinanju, who allows him to move faster than the human eye and all sorts of fun stuff. It’s very pulpy but with a good dose of social and political satire. The only one I could find was the most recent one, Political Pressure, and it’s a fun read (curiously, they mention of the author on the cover, just the creators). Not earth shattering but a fun two or three day read.

I thought I was going to get curbstomped in my football pool, but if Philly wins I’ll actually finish 11-5. Just some wacky shit going on. Whoever would’ve guessed the Bears would beat the Pack at home?

Patriots won a boring game against the Cardinals 23-12. The big story was Corey Dillon busting out for 158 yards. This is a rarity for the Patriots. We had Antwoin Smith for a few years, and believe me, I love the guy, always played hard and seemed to always get the crucial third down. But man, every week it seemed he got 20 carries for 40 yards. Did you ever know anyone who started ‘Twoin on their fantasy football team? And if they did, were they happy about it?

And this is a terrible thing to say, but here goes: it’s a shame Pat Tillman played for the shittiest franchise in the NFL. They should have posthumously traded him to the Packers or 49’ers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home