Would would you do, given a chance to meet God?

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Possesed by Grady Little

Argh, had the most heartbreaking game of MLB 2K5 last night. It was the last game of a four game series against the Tigers, and a lot of my players were tired. Since I'd beaten Detroit handily the first three games, I rested 1/3 of my lineup. I put Manny on the bench for Ellis Burks, an AAA prospect for Mark Bellhorn, and Jay Payton for Trot Nixon.

Big mistake. I proceeded to get aced by the Tiger pitcher (again, the name escapes me). Change-ups just kill me in the game, and this guy through about 90% change-ups. I’d bang out the occasional hit, sometimes get men in scoring position, but couldn’t get anything going. Hitting into four double plays didn’t help either.

But the thing is, Wade Miller was just mowing down the Tigers. How nasty was he? I had three three pitch innings. Yes, one pitch per batter. Apparently the Tigers aren’t big fans of working the count. So while he doesn’t have the best stamina, he still had plenty in the tank as the game went on. I carried a perfect game into the 8th inning, when Detroit got a single.

That was my mistake. I should’ve pulled Miller out right there. Unfortunately, I figured Detroit would put in a reliever and I’d surely come up with something in the ninth. Uh, no, as Troy Percival shuts me down.

Bottom of the ninth, Miller gives up two quick singles. I should have made the sub there, but John Halama had just started warming up. I get the next guy to pop up, but the next batter lays down a bunt and I fuck up the throw, so everyone’s safe. Bases loaded, one out.

Next guy up, I strike him out on four pitches with a nasty slider. I pump my fist in excitement.

Up next, Pudge Rodriguez, who hits a 1-1 pitch up the middle, juuuuust out of the reach of Renteria. Tigers win 1-0. Fudge.

Ellis Burks was placed on the trading block after the game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home