Would would you do, given a chance to meet God?

Monday, November 07, 2005

I've had a pretty tough time this year in the office football pool. Lots of 10-4, 9-5, and even a craptacular 6-8 week. Just when I thought I lost my mojo, I rattle off an 12-1 record so far this week, with the Monday Night game left to be played (the only loss came when I picked against the Lions - I don't think I've gotten a Detroit game right this season). Unfortunately, everyone one else had a great week as well, so there's a potential six way tie.

Of the six, four of them picked the Colts, while I and another co-worker went with the Pats. It's always been a condundrum, picking for or against your team in the pool. On the one hand, if you pick against your team, you feel guilty because you're secretly wishing them to do poorly. But if you pick for them, you may just be setting yourself up for a fall if they're overmatched.

Of course, as a Pats fan, this really hasn't been a problem the past few years. When your team goes 14-2 you very rarely feel conflicted about picking them. Not this year - injuries combined with a grueling schedule have the Pats at 4-3 through their first 7 games (they only lost 2 games all of last year). Now the 7-0 Colts come to down, rested, healthy, and seemingly clicking on all cylinders. They're four point favorites, and let's face it, if they're ever going to win in Foxboro, it's going to be now.

Lot of people seem to think this way - lots of folks picked against the Pats this week. Not me. I picked the Pats for two reasons.

1. Dwight Freeney's appearance on PTI this week, where he said "Even if the Pats beat us, it doesn't mean we're guaranteed to meet them in the playoffs." Translation: We're scared shitless of this team and there's no way we can win.

2. I never bet against my team. One of my cardinal rules (I have a bunch - I should write them down at some point). This team's been good to me, I'll be good to them.

Pats 31, Colts 28, Joe is $50 richer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home