Would would you do, given a chance to meet God?

Monday, December 05, 2005

Long time no post. Let's do something special for December. Let's do...the ten greatest video games of all time as chosen by me.

Note: I was a pretty big video game geek but I've probably played .0001% of the video games released through the years. So I'm woefully unqualified to make these decisions, but what can you do?

#10 Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (Arcade)

What it's about: 8 weirdoes from around the planet fight each other. Beat the other weirdoes, and you fight four boss weirdoes, including a Mike Tyson clone and a Spanish ninja.

Why it's on the list: Maybe the most influential game of the past 15 years. Seriously, how many fighting games owe pretty much everything to SFII - a hundred? Two hundred?

Beyond influence, it's just a phenomally fun game, especially playing against another person (the trash talk potential was through the roof). The characters were all interesting, and the controls were easy enough to get into, but complex enough that they took time to master. Everyone reading this probably got their ass kicked by that guy who was just a little too good with Ken or Ryu.

Personal memories: The first time I ever beat another human being. Once I got the hang of Chun Li's headstomp, I managed to beat this other guy with just a sliver of energy left in front of about 15 people at Playoff Arcade. Then I played my friend Sean, who I'm pretty sure let me beat him, just so I could have a winning streak (still one of the nicest things anyone's ever done for me).

Later on I kicked this guy's ass five straight times with E. Honda.

There's was also the movie, which was ridiculous for two reasons:

1. They took out the street fighting, making it into a wacky adventure movie.
2. They cast Raul Julia as M. Bison, the main bad guy and supposed baddest man on the planet. Yes, Raul Julia's last screen appearance was getting beat up by Jean Claude Van-Damme.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home