Would would you do, given a chance to meet God?

Friday, June 25, 2004

Hey, a Weds--er, Thurs—er, Friday update!

--I got a version of Super Tecmo Bowl working on my computer. Nothing else matters now. Nothing. I’m using the Redskins for some reason, and I wish I had a dime every time Mark Rypien overthrew Gary Clark by 20 yards on a deep pass. Earnest Byner seems settled into a “15 carries, 20 yards” mode. On the plus side, Darryl Grant has 34 sacks through 8 games.

Played the Giants yesterday in what Bill Simmons has called a “No Effin’ Way” game, so named because the computer decides there’s no effin’ way you’re going to win. Otis Anderson played like Barry Sanders on PCP and ran for a whopping 248 yards on 10 carries. Final score was 31-3. Ouch.

--Elizabeth “Albatross” Rohm is leaving Law and Order! A truly landmark day. As for who replaces her, I just hope it’s someone who can act. Maybe it’s time to shuffle things up, move McCoy to the DA’s desk, have a female EADA and a young male ADA.

--Thanks to the people who recommended Ian Rankin when I asked for mystery writer suggestions. I’m reading Set In Darkness now and it’s quite good.

--Picked up Wilco’s A Ghost Is Born yesterday. I think it’s a step back from Yankee Foxtrot Hotel, which is fine, since they couldn’t go much further in that direction. It’s more like the halfway point between Summer Teeth and YHF. Most critics have called it a “warmer,” meaning it takes a few lessons to warm up to it, but I liked it fine on the first spin. Even the long songs aren’t so bad, although I really could’ve done without the extended feedback on “Less Than You Think.”

Since I was in the “W’s” at the record store looking for Wilco, I found White Lion’s greatest hits for $9.99. Hey, shut up. I actually had a copy of Pride on vinyl (one of the first albums I ever bought). I giggle at some of these songs (especially “When the Children Cry”) but overall it holds up a lot better than a lot of their 80’s peers.

--Bill Clinton’s been all over the news. When I commented that he looked like he’s lost weight, someone told me he went on the South Beach Diet. That blew my mind. It’s just weird that the President goes on a fad diet. That’s something you expect your neighbor or the guy in the cubicle opposite you to try. (And yeah, feel free to make the obligatory “I suppose Bill did a lot of things you wouldn’t expect the President to do” comment.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home