Would would you do, given a chance to meet God?

Monday, October 11, 2004

So it’s come to this: You knew it would. It was inevitable. A rematch of last year’s ALCS, that was my second most crushing moment as a sports fan (you get three guesses for #1, and the first two don’t count).

Am I glad to be facing the Yankees? I am. I certainly wasn’t in the “if we win the World Series and didn’t beat the Yankees, it doesn’t count” camp. But if we beat the Yanks and win the World Series, it will certainly be sweeter. Of course, if we lose, it’ll be beyond devastating. The highs could be higher, but the lows could be lower.

But I think we’ll win. All the pieces seem to be in place. Starting pitching, bullpen (despite the performance on Friday), defense, certainly hitting, and chemistry. It’s all there. Now or never.

I posted a while back I thought the Red Sox would win the World Series. And I kept believing (except for a two game stretch against Seattle and Tampa Bay where they didn’t score a run, and I had my mandatory Sox fan meltdown and thought they wouldn’t make the playoffs). Now we’re eight wins away.

And did I mention the Patriots broke the record for most consecutive wins with their 19th straight yesterday? I must be in sports fan nirvana.

I finished Friday Night Lights this weekend. Highly recommended, both as a sports book and social commentary. The best parts are absolutely riveting, especially how they decided which two of three teams would make the playoffs. The last chapter is off the charts. Excellent book, but not my favorite sports book ever (that goes to A Good Walk Spoiled).

I finally broke down and bought Franz Ferdinand’s self-titled album. I usually try to avoid hyped bands like this, but I saw three videos on MTV2 and thought “wow, these are all catchy.” It’s good, especially “Take Me Out.”

I’m out ‘til later in the week. Now go read my old college roommate’s critique of Leprechaun In The Hood (It's the one by Bill C. titled "An Important Movie").

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home