Would would you do, given a chance to meet God?

Friday, March 18, 2005

California Diary: Day 4, Yankees 2 (2/16)

Woke up at 4:30 to catch a flight from San Fran International down to L.A., then catch another flight toSan Diego.

I was picked up at the Airport by a taxi service. The driver was Chinese, niceguy, English was a little rough. We start heading on the highway and the roadforks, the left exit take you to San Fran, the right taking you to downtown Oakland. So we head...right?

"Uh, I'm heading to San Fran Airport," I say.

"I know. This is a shortcut," he replies.

We drive through some of the, uh, lesser parts of Oakland, and I see numerous folks who look like extras from the next Grand Theft Auto game. I duck my head and pray we don't break down. Thankfully we're back on the highway soon, and we probably saved about five minutes.
My flight doesn't leave until 8:30, so I have a ton of time to kill. I finish The Fortress of Solitude. I dunno. I liked it, I guess, but I never really connected with it (or vice versa). Needing something lighter, I switch to the first Stephanie Plum novel (hey don't laugh, I needed something breezy and it only cost me a buck).

Anyway, the flight to LA is brief and uneventful. Unfortunately, an issue with my ticket not printing means I have to go through LAX security again. Joy. Then I have to catch a charter bus to my connecting flight, which is in another part of the airport. I'm sweating pretty bad when I make it to my flight. We're on this really small plane that looks, uh, a tad antiquated.
Anyway, I land and step out into sunny San Diego, 60 degrees with a light breeze. I almost start crying.

A new rep named Brad picks me up. Brad used to play AA ball with the Padres, whichis definitely the coolest sports feat from someone I personally know. He drives me through sunny downtown San Diego, and everything I've heard about the city is true. It's gorgeous. I'm thinking about moving and becoming a hobo--it would still be anupgrade from Massachusetts.

I bum around the San Diego office for the afternoon, basically killing time. I call home and let my parents know I'm alive, but I might not ever come home.

Afterwards I meet up with my boss and we head over to Corronado and check into the Cordova hotel. The hotel manager is one of those people who are a little too energetic and perky, and this really annoying, you know?

The Cordova's a nice place, kind of a retro Spanish feel to it. I actually get lost trying to find my room. Embarassing, I know.

We go out to eat. More whining and dining! I get the pasta with clams. Yum.

I'm exhausted at this point, so I return to my hotel room for some zzzz's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home