Would would you do, given a chance to meet God?

Monday, March 28, 2005

California Diary Day 5

We had a sales meeting in another hotel (the name escapes me) right next to the Pacific ocean. The weather was OK--cloudy, but in the high fifties, and I got to sniff two of my favorite scents--the ocean, and freshly cut grass (still a few months off from experiencing either back east).

We had our sales meeting in one of the hotel confernence rooms, and I got to meet a few more people. I didn't have to give a presentation (which was likely for the best for both myself and the audience).

We break around one thirty and I roam around taking pictures of the harbor. I head back to my hotel room for a shower and change of clothes. Flipping around on the tube, I remember Around The Horn and PTI are on at 2 in the afternoon, which is weird. They also have this local show about USC and UCLA sports, hosted by the two biggest douchbags I ever saw in my life. Picture the most annoying fratboy jock you ever met in college, age them five years, and you have these two guys. They talk about women's water polo like it's the World Series or something.

I also stumbled across the International Channel, which aired shows from Japan. I assume so, anyway, but everything looked real cheap and low rent. Best of all was a Japanese talk show called homeboy, with a dorky, Urkel-esque black guy as the host in front of a crowd of Japanese people. Beyond inexplicable, even if I could understand what was being said.

We all had a farewell dinner that night in a wonderful restaurant with the most amazing view of downtown San Diego. We ordered several bottles of wine that night, and while I'm not the biggest wine drinker, I figured I'd have a glass. Why not, right? Well, as soon as I finish my first glass, someone says "Let me top you off." Oh, well, I guess a second glass couldn't hurt, right? As soon as I finish that one, BAM, the glass is magically full again. This process repeated, I dunno, about 30 times during the dinner. I was pretty silly by the end. Thankfully, not pissing my pants or walking into walls or propositioning strangers, but making it to the bathroom and back was an adventure.

We take a cab back to the hotel. Some people wanted to go out for more drinks, but I decided discretion was the better part of valor, even though my flight didn't leave until noon the next day.

I tried to read--yeah, fat chance of that happening when the were bouncing around. I go to bed and sleep the sleep of the drunk.

Next: The Conclusion

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home