Would would you do, given a chance to meet God?

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

And here's a double shot to close out our look at the 90's:

Disc Six:
01 "Wonderwall" - Oasis (Ah, Oasis’ big breakthrough. The wheels came off pretty quick for them, but they were still one of the best live shows I ever saw in ’96.)
02 "Birthday Cake" - Cibo Matto (Everyone used to talk about this band. Then I listened to a tape of their stuff. It sucked.)
03 "Cumbersome" - Seven Mary Three (Bad bar band that somehow had a hit, and were never heard from again.)
04 "One of Us" - Joan Osborne (Hmmm, what if God was one of us? Would he know what the hell happened to Joan Osbourne?)
05 "Caught by the Fuzz" - Supergrass (Another greatly underappreciated band. I listened to "In It For The Money" a million times in the summer of '97.)
06 "Sweet 69" - Babes In Toyland (Not my thing.)
07 "Breakfast at Tiffany's" - Deep Blue Something (Crappy one-hit wonder.)
08 "Photograph" - The Verve Pipe (Thank god they didn't put "The Freshman" on here. This song's not that bad, really.)
09 "In the Meantime" - Spacehog (Great song, good band that shouldn't have faded like they did.)
10 "Woo Hah!! Got You All In Check" - Busta Rhymes (A shame Busta turned into a self-parody of himself so quickly — he had some good songs there for a while.)
11 "Who Will Save Your Soul" - Jewel (Ah, Jewel in her hippie folk days, before she turned into whatever she is now.)
12 "Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand" - Primitive Radio Gods (OK one-hit-wonder, nothing overly memorable.)
13 "Cybele's Reverie" - Stereolab (Was never into Sterelab, sorry, but I appreciate them being here.)
14 "Capri Pants" - Bikini Kill (Er, riot grrrl stuff was never my thing.)
15 "What I Got" - Sublime (Sublime holds up surprisingly well. I still pull this album out every so often.)
16 "Kung Fu" - Ash (Argh, should have put "Goldeneye" instead. Good track nonetheless.)
17 "Virtual Insanity" - Jamiroquai (The "moving furniture" video. Sounds so much like Stevie Wonder you may as well listen to the real deal.)
18 "Naked Eye" - Luscious Jackson (Pretty much their only song I could stand.)
19 "Outtasite (Outta Mind)" - Wilco (A surprising but welcome addition.)

Disc Seven:
01 "itszoweezee (hot)" - De La Soul (If it ain’t Three Feet High And Rising, I ain’t interested.)
02 "LoveFool" - The Cardigans (Great song. This band should not have been a one-hit-wonder.)
03 "Radiation Vibe" - Fountains Of Wayne (Like the band, not this song though.)
04 "The Impression That I Get" - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones (Big hit for the Bosstones. They had better songs but I still like this.)
05 "Turn It On" - Sleater-Kinney (Never saw the big deal about Sleater-Kinney.)
06 "Bitch" - Meredith Brooks (I remember this. Total chick song.)
07 "MMMBop" - Hanson (You know, we all laughed at this song when it came out. But then came the Backstreet Boys and N Sync and their ilk, and really, Hanson doesn’t seem so bad compared to them, do they?)
08 "Brian Wilson" (live) - Barenaked Ladies (One of the few BNL songs I don’t mind.)
09 "Brick" - Ben Folds Five (A good song, but BF5 tried and tried and never managed to reach the heights of their first album.)
10 "Sex and Candy" - Marcy Playground (I had this song on an old CMJ sampler, and I liked it the first time I heard it. It was sandwiched between two other songs I really liked (Paul K and the Weathermen’s “Slow It Down” and The Phoids “Never Liked You Much Anyway”). Imagine my surprise when Marcy Playground emerged with a leftfield hit.)
11 "Walking on the Sun" - Smash Mouth (Do I have this album? I might.)
12 "Tubthumping" - Chumbawamba (Haven’t heard this in forever. Fun to sing along to.)
13 "6 Underground" - Sneaker Pimps (I know them but don’t remember this song.)
14 "Lullaby" - Shawn Mullins (I don’t know this song. I’m not even sure of the artist’s gender.)
15 "Slide" - Goo Goo Dolls (Let me tell you, I bought a copy of “A Boo Named Goo” well before they had a hit with “Name (I had heard the track “Only One” on WAAF and loved it). That album and it’s faux-Replacements rock holds up well. Every afterwards is poo.)
16 "Kiss Me" - Sixpence None the Richer (BARF.)
17 "Steal My Sunshine" - LEN (A definite guilty pleasure song.)
18 "What It's Like" - Everlast (Don’t care for the song, but the guy from House of Pain reinventing himself as a folkish solo act and having a hit is pretty high on the inexplicable meter.)
19 "Natural Blues" – Moby (There are much better Moby songs to pick.)

The end. Not sure what Rhino was going for here (well, besides songs of the 90's). There's a million ommissions, but even with 70 CD's you'd probably be leaving a lot off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home