Would would you do, given a chance to meet God?

Thursday, December 16, 2004

Vaya con Dios:

"I'd rather one [World Series] ring in Boston than three anywhere else"--Pedro Martinez, on the 2004 World Series DVD.

As I'm sure you heard, Pedro Martinez is a New York Met, and I'm conflicted. I'm certainly not surprised. I predicted that he would leave the Red Sox in this veryblog a while back. But I am dissapointed.

If Pedro received the Red Sox offer, then one from the Mets, and choose the Mets,then that would be that. Pedro did what he felt was best, and I would have no gripe with that. But he got an original offer from the Sox, and several others from other teams. Then he went back to the Sox and got a guaranteed third year. And when he got that year,I thought he was a lock to sign with the Sox. But the Mets came along with a fourth year, and Pedro jumped to them. It's like he never had any intention of resigning, only leveraging the Sox to get another year from the Mets. It makes me wonder if he really meant the quote at the top.

It's a blow to the Sox, but I don't think anyone would argue Pedro is on the downswing of his career. Will he still be effective? Sure, but who know for how long? I don't think anyone would place money on his performance with the Mets, however long he pitches, matching his tenure with the Sox.

Besides, Pedro could come across a prima donna and a headcase at times (look at the whole "The Yankees are my daddy" speech). Maybe his exit will have a healthy effect on the clubhouse.

Whatever happens, I don't bear any ill will to Petey. Too many good memories to do that. Hey, I hope the change of scenery works and he has a lot of success in New York. As for Red Sox Nation, we'll just have to come to grips with the fact that for the first time in seven years, we won't get to see Pedro Martinez pitch in a Red Sox uniform.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home